Monday, July 18, 2011

Opening Day and Week 1

I should have picked a better day for opening the website.  It was rough.  Husband was out of town, it was the day after a big family party so the kids were up late, and it was a Monday - my day to get my life/house back in order after the weekend.  But, of course, hindsight is 20/20.

There were a lot of last minute tweaks I had to do - adding pics of some of some items, fixing descriptions, and fixing some shopping cart issues, etc.  I was a bad mom all morning.  I fed and bathed the kids, but in between those times - the TV was on, toys sprawled out over every room in the house, dishes and laundry piled up, and I was on the computer.  I wanted to open up the site at 5pm.  With the kids usual napping schedule, the timing should have worked out perfectly, but that's not how the world works, is it?

One fell asleep earlier than usual, and one fell asleep later.  So when the 2nd one went down for nap, the other one was starting to wake up!  At opening time I was on the computer trying to get some last minute stuff done while Baby A was back in her room yelling for me to come get her.  When the website first opened up, I found some problems I had to fix.  Although flustered, I was able to fix the issues with a baby in my lap.  So the store opened...an hour late.  I got a few orders the first week, and the timing of everything worked out fine.  It was actually a lot of FUN fulfilling the orders, and packaging them up and sending them off.  It really gave me a feeling of ACCOMPLISHMENT, which has been rare for me since I became a stay at home mom and everything I do is an ongoing task.

So, although it started out a bit rough, the good news is I now have a fully functioning, beautiful web store....and the kids are fine, and my house is still standing.  Even though it took a little longer than usual, the dishes and laundry got done, and the house will be clean again...someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment