Friday, July 15, 2011

Different Wavelengths

After running some errands yesterday, I pulled into the garage and opened up the van door to get the kids out.  I unbuckled Benjamin and took Ava's car seat carrier out.  Benj leading the way, and 30 pound car seat in arm, we walked up the stairs to the house and Benj decided to stop and the top of the stairs blocking the doorway and insist on pushing the button to open the garage door.  "Come on, Benjamin, you can push the button later. Let's go inside."  He is now fussing and screaming that he wants to push the button.  I kindly explain to him, "Benjamin, Mommy is holding Ava's car seat which is really heavy and I would like to walk inside so I can put it down.  My arm is very tired, and my hands are full so I can't lift you up to push the button.  You need to try to think about how others are feeling and not just yourself."  Benjamin stands and contemplates, looks at Ava for a few seconds and responds, "Ava haves teeth, Mommy." Clearly we are on two different wavelengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment